Saturday, October 6, 2018

Recovery Wheel Week 2 – Stepping Into My Life with Love



Photo by HeidelX on pixabay

My mind gets carried away, often. I start off reading one book and suddenly I’ve got 10 or more on the go. I come up with one business idea and suddenly I’m doing three. I work with one modality or program for healing and suddenly I’m using four.

This isn’t a bad thing in and of itself. It can be a creative tool. I branch out so I can synthesize and come up with something new. But too often, it’s not a tool for me. It’s a pervasive pattern that hampers me and could even be called self-sabotage.

During my reckoning work this week, I journaled to understand how I got where I am. Above is just one insight. I don’t journal enough. It’s one of the things that I lose focus on. But it always brings so many great insights.

I’ll continue to bring awareness to this pattern and do things that help me stay focused on one thing at time. This isn’t easy for someone who is multi-passionate. And it doesn’t mean I only have to ever do one thing. For me it means I need to create times specifically to focus on one thing. I need to go deep enough to create a pattern and a rhythm in that thing.

For instance, I want to publish my ideas/writing and get paid. I’ve focused on a platform that pays me to write for others. I’ve got that down, but when it comes to getting into the rhythm of writing my ideas and pitching them I’ve not given it enough time to develop. And that’s because I lose focus. I start working on other things. We lose focus when we haven’t taken the time to make something ingrained.

Some of the other insights come back to this one about focus. And this one about focus comes back to my inability to fully believe in myself. The Recovery Wheel work is to help me recover from my feelings of unworthiness. And it will help as long as I continue to focus.

Mindfulness

Mindfulness, the other aspect of the first part of the Recovery Wheel, is the basis of this work. When I’m mindful of my patterns, they can’t control me and I can change them. What I’ve noticed is I lose touch with basic mindfulness when I spread myself too thin. Mindfulness helps me not only remain aware so I can make other choices; it helps me to realize if something isn’t for me. I don’t have to stick with something that isn’t working.

Via Transformativa

I talked a little last week about this Creation Spirituality path. This week I realized the Path of Transformativa also says, if we deal with our unhappiness, we’ll step into it and change it. That’s kind of what Brené Brown says about The Reckoning. It’s the work I did with journaling this week.

The Path of Transformativa also reminds us to lighten up. Last week I talked about how it acknowledges this work is often two steps forward, one step back. It also says that being hard on ourselves makes it more difficult that it need be. Transformation takes mindfulness, kindness and patience. To say it more simply, transformation takes love.



What to Keep in Mind as You Begin this Work

The first part of the wheel looks like this:

Season: Lammas
12-Step: Admit life isn’t working.
Rising Strong Process: Reckoning
8 Fold Path: Right Mindfulness
Creation Spirituality Path: Via Transformativa

Three Main Principles to focus on for Recovery Wheel work:

Oneness/All is Love
Basic Goodness
Spiritual Law

Three Main Tools:

Meditation
Journaling
Self-care

Each week I’ll focus on one or two of these principles and tools.

Week 2

Journaling/Reckoning Practice:

Use your journal to discover the deeper reasons why you are where you are today. Ask: How did I get here? Take a few minutes to write what comes to mind. When you think you’re done keep going or pick one insight and go deeper into it.


Mindfulness Practice:

Begin a mindfulness meditation practice if you don’t already have one. Susan Piver, founder of the Open Heart Project, is a great teacher. Sign up for her free weekly meditation instruction video or simply visit the link every week.


Via Transformativa Practice:

Spend some time this week doing something you absolutely love. Have fun. As we loosen up it becomes easier to transform.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Stirs Us

PublicDomainPictures on pixabay As if stirring the contents of my life counter clockwise could turn back time, my mind’s eye wat...